Watching as insane surfers take on the biggest waves on the planet is crazy enough.
But the best part of the night during the Billabong XXL Big Wave Awards is always the wipeouts – so brutal and jaw dropping, you can’t help but watch as surfers get tossed, tumbled, slammed, and escape death in waves that crush them like ants.
The night – which happens at the Grove in Anaheim on May 4, brings a crowd of about 2,000, invite- only surf industry insiders who celebrate the big wave accomplishments by an elite group who take on waves the size of buildings. For those who can’t attend, the event will be webcast live via BillabongXXL.com.
This year’s Wipeout of the Year, and Best Performance nominees were just announced Monday, along with footage and photos you won’t want to miss.
FIVE VERIZON WIPEOUT OF THE YEAR AWARD NOMINEES (Surfer prize $2,000 – Video prize $1,000)
- Felipe Cesarano (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) at Teahupoo, Tahiti on Aug. 27, 2011. (Video by Billabong Pro Tahiti Video Team.)
- Danny Griffith (Dodges Ferry, Tasmania, Australia) at Shipstern Bluff, Tasmania on Oct. 26, 2011. (Video by Dave Otto.)
- Rodrigo Koxa (Guaruja, Sao Paolo, Brazil) at Teahupoo, Tahiti on Aug. 27, 2011. (Video by Marc-Antoine Bouvant.)
- Mark Mathews (Maroubra, New South Wales, Australia) at The Right, Western Australia, Oct. 16, 2011. (Video by Tim Bonython.)
- Garrett McNamara (Haleiwa, Hawaii, USA) at Jaws, Maui, Hawaii on Jan. 4, 2012. (Video by Elliot Leboe.)
Also announced were the Surfline Best Performance Award nominees, where two OC surfers made the list: Nathan Fletcher and Greg Long.
FIVE SURFLINE BEST PERFORMANCE AWARD NOMINEES (Surfer prize $5,000)
- Kohl Christensen (Kailua, Hawaii, USA)
- Shane Dorian (Kona, Hawaii, USA)
- Nathan Fletcher (San Juan Capistrano, California, USA)
- Mark Healey (Sunset Beach, Hawaii, USA)
- Greg Long (San Clemente, California, USA)
And of course, we can’t forget the ladies… here’s the nominees and footage for the female category:
FIVE BILLABONG GIRLS BEST PERFORMANCE AWARD NOMINEES (Surfer prize $5,000)
- Paige Alms (Haiku, Hawaii, USA)
- Maya Gabeira (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- Keala Kennelly (Honolulu, Hawaii, USA)
- Silvia Nabuco (Sao Paolo, Brazil)
- Savannah Shaughnessy (Santa Cruz, California, USA)