Aussie Schoolie blinded by tainted cocktails in Bali

A teenage girl has been blinded after drinking a tainted cocktail while on a schoolies trip to Bali.

Schoolies can enjoy themselves while on a break in Bali but should be cautious of cocktails. Picture: Lukman S. Bintoro. Source: The Daily Telegraph

The 18-year-old woman from Sydney’s lower north shore is one of a number of Australians who have had drinks spiked while holidaying on the Indonesian party island, The Sunday Telegraph reports.

The school leaver returned to Australia last week and is currently recovering at home after receiving treatment in Bali and at the Royal North Shore Hospital.

The hospital has not provided details on her condition but the effects of methanol poisoning can include vomiting, gastric pain, liver failure, comas and sometimes blindness and death.

Foreign Minister Bob Carr said other travellers had reported cases of drink-spiking in Bali but added that many cases go unreported.

“Spiked drinks might contain drugs, or they might contain poisons like methanol,” he said.

“We’re aware of one young Australian hospitalised in Indonesia after drinking what may have been methanol. I wish her all the best in her recovery.”

Volunteer group Red Frogs, which tries to protect schoolies in Bali, said they had treated and hospitalised around five school leavers for methanol poisoning.

But Red Frogs Bali co-ordinator Paul Mergard fears there may be many more victims they are unaware of.

“We had some we sent to hospital who were quite sick but we probably didn’t see the worst of what was happening because we took them to hospital where they were treated,” Mr Megard said.

He said there was a need for more drink spiking awareness among schoolies.

Source: The Telegraph

ADD COMMENT

More On IndoSurfLife.com