Gili Trawangan bar still serving methanol drinks

The bar that allegedly served Perth teenager Liam Davies the methanol-laced drink that killed him is still selling potentially deadly cocktails to oblivious Australian tourists.

Night action at Rudy's bar. Picture: Steve Pennells/The West Australian.
Night action at Rudy’s bar. Picture: Steve Pennells/The West Australian.

An investigation by The West Australian has found that as recently as two days ago, Rudy’s Pub served poisonous vodka-based drinks laced with methanol.

The popular bar on the Indonesian holiday island of Gili Trawangan, north of Lombok, was named by friends of Mr Davies as the place where he bought his fatal drink on New Year’s Eve.

The allegations have been backed up separately by a Canadian tourist who was poisoned the same night and had urgent treatment in a Bali hospital for severe methanol poisoning.

Despite the claims, no investigation has been launched into Mr Davies’ death, no bar staff have been interviewed and no attempt has been made to test the drinks that are still being served to tourists.

The West Australian travelled to Gili Trawangan this week and took two drink samples on Wednesday from Rudy’s Pub.

The first was a long island iced tea-style cocktail called Gili Island. The second was a 300ml vodka-Sprite mix similar to the one that is believed to have killed Mr Davies.

The samples were tested in a private clinical laboratory in Denpasar yesterday. The Gili Island cocktail showed no trace of methanol but the vodka mix – which was meant to contain only vodka, Sprite and ice water – registered a methanol level of 0.02 per cent.

The 300ml drink contained a 30ml shot of vodka diluted by 270ml of sprite and ice water, which would put the actual methanol content of the vodka at around 0.2 percent.

The results of the tests on drinks bought at Rudy's Pub. Picture: Steve Pennells/ The West Australian
The results of the tests on drinks bought at Rudy’s Pub. Picture: Steve Pennells/ The West Australian

The drinks that killed Mr Davies and poisoned Miss Jay would almost certainly have had a higher level of methanol.

But various health agencies such as Britain’s Food Standards Agency have stated that levels of methanol in vodka higher than 0.05 percent — a quarter of this — are not safe.

The drink was poured from a labelled bottle of vodka from behind the bar. The results show that more than a week after Mr Davies was poisoned and three days after he died, the bar which has been accused of supplying the lethal drink was selling drinks with methanol levels considered dangerous.

Mr Davies, a popular 19-year-old roof carpenter from Marmion, was holidaying with friends in Lombok over New Year when he is believed to have unwittingly drunk a vodka-lime mix laced with methanol.

Continue reading, here.

Source: The West Australian | Author: Steve Pennells

ADD COMMENT

More On IndoSurfLife.com