A WA teenager suffering methanol poisoning from a drink he consumed near Bali has died in a Perth hospital.
Liam Davies, 19, had been celebrating with mates on New Year’s Day when he became sick after drinking an alcoholic beverage at a bar on the holiday island of Lombok.
He was taken to a local hospital for treatment and later brought to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital.
This morning, a hospital spokeswoman confirmed the teenager had passed away.
It’s believed he was surrounded by his family and close mates at the time.
Friends of Liam’s have taken to Facebook in the past few hours to write tributes about him.
“Rest in peace Liam we’re all gonna miss you bud,” wrote one friend.
“RIP LIAM!!! You lived a good life. It was good to know you. May you rest in peace and live on in our hearts…you were taken too quickly from this world and we’ll see each other in the afterlife,” wrote a young woman.
“So sad to hear the tragic death of our friend Liam Davies. Heart goes out to his family and friends,” wrote another friend.
On Friday, Liam’s family released a statement, describing him as a “fun loving and active 19-year-old, who has represented his country in lacrosse and has dreams of travelling abroad to see the world.”
In their statement his family urged other Australians to be careful while travelling overseas.
“We would like to make people aware of the risks associated with consuming locally brewed drinks where you cannot be certain of the quality,” the statement said.
Methanol is a toxic chemical that is sometimes added to cheap drinks to make them more alcoholic.
In the past few days since news of tragedy broke hundreds of readers have written to PerthNow, either wishing Liam well and warning others of the risks inexperienced young travellers face, or defending or criticising the holiday island.
News of Liam’s tragic death comes following a string of similar incidents in and around Bali in the past 18 months.
Read the full post, here.
Source: The Australian | Author: Phil Hickey