Aussie Girl Raped in Bali Refuses to Give Up Search for Attacker

An Australian mother whose daughter was raped while holidaying in Bali has returned to the scene of the crime to bring her attacker to justice.

27C661AD00000578-0-image-m-9_1429527627110CCTV footage captured Alafu waiting in the lobby for Ms Pekin, as she stopped at the hotel before they continued with their night out. It was before the alleged attack took place

Dawn Pekin says her daughter Audrey, 19, has been let down by Indonesian police, lawyers and even her own government, who she claims let her rapist go unpunished.

“It’s hard to know who to trust anymore,” Ms Pekin told A Current Affair. “It’s just so hard to get justice here.”

After hours-long meetings with both Indonesian and Australian officials and $14,000 in legal fees, Dawn laments that she is no closer to finding the predator.

Standing outside the run-down home in which Audrey was attacked, she recounted that night on Christmas Eve last year for television crews, as she has done for police countless times before. Audrey had left her mother back at their Bali hotel caring for her sick younger sister to head out for drinks with friends at the Bounty Bar.

One of them was Nigerian national Henry Alafu – a young man she had met by chance while shopping who claimed to be a South African on holidays too.

They decided to continue the Christmas Eve festivities at a nearby villa.

Security vision from a nearby hotel lobby showed Henry politely chatting with reception staff as Audrey informed her family of their plans. But on the way to the villa, she noticed the taxi ride seemed longer than normal and she began to feel ill. She has type 1 diabetes and thought a potentially fatal sugar low was coming on.

They came to a small house in a dark lonely street in the back blocks of Bali.

As soon as they entered, Henry locked the door and he threw Audrey to the bed and proceeded to rape her.

Survival instinct kicked in and she managed to stumble outside and hail a cab, only to have her attacker follow her in and sexually assault her again in the cab. Finally an Indonesian man helped her to safety.

But her ordeal did not end there. To charge anyone with rape in Indonesia, police require a medical report confirming the extent of the injuries.

That meant undergoing a painful and humiliating virginity test, which proved beyond doubt that Audrey had been raped. Further tests would reveal another shock – she was infected with a sexually transmitted disease.

By Christmas Day, police had Henry’s mobile number and Facebook profile – four days later they had this street address too.

But it took them until January 12 – a full 18 days after the attack, before they made any attempt to arrest him.

Police and Immigration authorities eventually make a move on this villa on January 14 – arresting 4 of Henry’s Nigerian friends on visa violations but the man wanted for rape was gone. Only then did police start tracking his mobile phone signal which was traced to Jakarta before it was turned off permanently. In the weeks after that, police claim his Facebook account was opened in Nigeria.

Now supported by parents Carl and Dawn and sister Frances, Audrey has made the brave decision to identify herself in her pursuit of justice. Read more article, here

watch the video interview, here

Source: /


More On