Nine people have been killed and more than 30 are injured after Yellow bridge in Klungkung, linking two islands off the coast of Bali collapsed at 6.30PM local time yesterday plunging dozens of terrified people into the water, Mirror reported.
Emergency crews were dispatched to the scene of the disaster, which also sent several motorbikes plummeting into the sea below.
Nine people have been declared dead so far. Eight of these have been identified, including three children aged three to nine.
A further 34 people have been treated for injuries at an Indonesian clinic, according to local media. Two of these are in a serious condition.
It is not yet confirmed what caused the suspension bridge -which connects the island of Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningan – to collapse.
However, a local police officer said there was a large number of people passing over the bridge for a religious ceremony when the incident occurred.
Officer Arendra Wahyudi added that water at the site was less than two metres deep, but many of the victims were struck by debris.
All of those killed and wounded were locals, he said.
Indonesia’s search and rescue agency stopped the search for the day at 9 PM local time, but will resume at daybreak on Monday, its spokesman said.
The Yellow bridge also collapsed in February 2013 but there were no casualties.