Singaporean Dies Falling From Hotel Room in Bali After Consuming Magic Mushrooms

A 23-year-old Singaporean has died after falling from his hotel room on Indonesia’s Bali island.

Photo by Zinnmann


The student, identified by Indonesian media as Ong Chee Seng, reportedly fell from the Hotel Terrace in Badung, Bali, over the weekend.

A security guard reported that he heard a crash at 2.15am. The victim was found in grey boxers and a blue T-shirt. His legs and arms were bent at awkward angles and he was bleeding from the mouth.

Indonesian news site Tribun Bali reported on Monday that Mr Ong had reportedly eaten magic mushrooms – psilocybin mushrooms which have hallucinogenic effects.

The victim’s friend, believed to be a classmate, said they had purchased a magic mushroom drink outside their hotel on Saturday evening. The victim mixed his mushrooms with orange juice, while his friend mixed his with chocolate.

His body was found in a lane behind Hotel Akmani, Jalan Legian Kuta Badung, and taken to BIMC hospital in Kuta.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs told The Straits Times on Monday night that the Singapore Embassy in Jakarta “is rendering consular assistance to the family of the deceased Singaporean”.

The local police are investigating the case. Denpasar Police Commissioner Hadi Purnomo said that law enforcement officers had been making efforts to eradicate the magic mushroom trade in Bali, but it’s been “quite tricky”.

Magic mushrooms have been re-classified as ‘type 1’ narcotics, making them illegal.


More On